Google ads is the most important tool of Digital Marketing.
Launched in the year 2000, google ads is the largest advertising platform in the world.
In the year 2001 the revenue of google ads was just 0.07 billion US Dollars. Google ad has 32.3% of total ads revenues i.e. 134.81 billion U.S. dollars in 2019. It was 32.3 % of total ads revenues in 2018 i.e. 116.46 billion US dollars and 31% in 2017 i.e. 95.58 US billion dollars.
The quality of leads from Google ads is said to be much better than Facebook ads.
Google ads Defination
Google ads ( formerly Google AdWords and Google AdWords express) is an online advertising solution that businesses use to promote their products and services on google search, tube and other sites across the web.
Google ads allow advertisers to choose specific goals for their advertisers to choose phone calls or websites visits.
With a google ads account, advertisers can customize their budgets and targeting and start or stop their ads at any time.
You can create your own ad, tell AdWords, who do you want to reach and AdWords bring your ads to them.
Google ad is built around three principles:
- Relevance: Connect with the right people at the right time, with the right message.
- Control: Google ad gives you complex control over your budget. You choose how much to spend per month, per day, and per ad..
- Results: Pay only for results, like clicks to your website or calls to your business. The measurements tools make it easy to see your sites, apps and ads are performing. Plus smart technology lets you create, manage and optimize your campaigns.
How does Google ads work?
You can create your first ads in just a few steps. Google ads make it easy to show the world what is unique about your business, so you can reach your customers, searching for what you have to offer.
Step 1: Tell about your goal
Google ads will tailor your ad based on the results you want. And no matter which advertising goals you choose, Google ads can help you across the board.
- Get more calls to business.
- Increase visits to your site.
- Drive people to your website.
Step 2: Decide where to advertise.
Go Global or stay behind. You decide where you will like to show your ads, and google ads will get them in front of the right people.
Step 3: Create your message.
Highlight what is best about your business in 3 short sentences to get customers excited Or create compelling banner ads by adding images.
Step 4: Set up your budget cap.
You will never pay more than the monthly cap you set, and you can adjust or pause your ads anytime. Plus google ads will show you estimated results for your budget.
Step 5: Go Live
Google ads will display ads when people search for products or services like yours. Your ads can appear on Google search and maps and across our network of partner sites.
You will pay for results, like when people click your ad to call your business, visit your website or get directions to your store.
Choose the Best Campaign types
There are 5 types of campaigns in Google ads. Advertising with AdWords starts with selecting a campaign type. The type of campaign you choose to create must be based on your advertising goals.
- Search network campaign.
This campaign type is useful for advertisers to show their text ads to high potential customers right they are searching for related products or services on google and other steps.
- Display network campaign
This campaign type works by matching you’re as to websites or mobile apps that include content that is related to your business or your customer’s interests.
- Video Campaign
With a video campaign type, you can run video ads on Youtube and on sites across the Google Display Network.
Available Video formats include Truevalue in- streaming ads, True value discovery ads, and bumper ads.
- Shopping Campaign
Shopping ads appear in google shopping next to search results,, and near text and responsive ads. This campaign is useful for retailers who want to promote their online and local inventory, boost traffic to their website or local store, and find better-qualified leads.
- Universal app campaign
With a universal app campaign type, you can easily promote your app across Search, Display, and YouTube. Your ads and bids are automatically adjusted to get the most downloads for your app.
How Ad –Extensions make Google ads more effective.
There are 7 types of Ad- Extensions. These are
- Sitelinks Extensions
These are extra links below the main ad. These show mostly for broad search and highly targeted Keywords.
- Location Extensions
These links show the address and links to google maps below the main ad. Useful for online stores and business fronts.
- Call Extensions
Call Extensions add business phone numbers to the ad.
- App Extensions
These ad extensions link to android or IOS apps from the ad.
- Review Extensions
It adds third party reviews to your ads
- Call-Out extensions
These extensions add an extra line to the description.
- Structured Snippet Extensions
These extensions show variants/ highlights of a product.
- Price Extensions
These extensions show prices of the different products below the text ads.
Ad- Extensions helps google ads in the following ways:
- Visibility: By adding more content to your ad, extensions give your ad greater visibility and prominence on the search result page. This means that more people can notice your ad.
- Performance: Research shows that ad-extensions yield on an average 10-15% increase in click-through rate for each type of extension implemented
- Value: No additional cost to extensions to your campaign.
How to organize your Google ads account
You must organize your Google ads account to get better results. Good campaign organizations help you make changes quickly, target your ads effectively, and ultimately reach your advertising goals.
Good campaign organizations help you make changes quickly, target your ads effectively, and ultimately reach your advertising goals.
There are 3 layers within Adwords.
- Your Google account is associated with a unique email address, password, and billing information.
- Your ad campaign has its own body and settings that determine where your ads appear.
- Your ad group contains a set of similar ads as well as keywords.
For better results, you must create a separate campaign for each product and service category you offer. Also, you must create separate ad groups with relevant keywords ad bids for each product and service.
You can use Google ads-manager account if you are managing more than 5 accounts.
How to reach customers with targeting
Targeting customers is all about setting the right message in front of the right person at the right moment. When it comes to targeting there is no one size that fits all strategy.
Here are the Targeting Options
- Demographics: Target your ads based on how well your products and services trend with trend with users in certain locations, ages, genders, and device types.
- Keywords Research: Choose words that are relevant to your product or service to target users and making searches.
- Topics: Target one ad to multiple pages about certain topics at once. Topic AdWords analyses web content and considers factors such as text, language, link structure and page structure. It then determines the central theme of each webpage and targets ads on your topic selections.
- Placement: Target websites on the Display Network that your customers visit.
- Remarketing: Target users that have already interacted with your website or app so that they will see your ads more often. Their users can be in any stage of conversion, as long as they have visited your site or clicked on your ad before. These users may even return to complete a purchase.
What is Keywords research?
For most AdWords, their AdWords is powered by Keywords.
Keywords are words or phrases that help determine where and when your action appears. Building a solid keyword list helps you reach only the most interested people, who are more likely to become your products and services.
You must choose phrases that customers would use to search for your products and services.
We have two types of keywords:
1) Long tail keyword
2) Short tail keyword
Google Keyword research process includes finding out what people are searching for. There are many methods and tools for that.
To build your own Keyword list you must use Keyword research tools like:
- Google AdWords keyword tool
- Google AdWords Keyword planner
- Moz. Keyword explore
- Answer the public.com
- Hit Tail.com
- Google AdWords search terms.
There are 5 types of Adwords Keywords
1)Broad Match Keywords: Broad Match keywords are normal and default type of keywords that you give for your campaign
2)Phrase Match Keywords: Phrase match keywords are closed in “Quotes”.
3)Exact Match Keywords: Exact Match Keywords are closed(Brackets)
4)Broad Match Modifiers: Broad Match modifiers have a little bit more targeting options.
5)Negative Keywords: Negative Keywords prevent your ad from showing in searches that use terms, that are not relevant to your product and services.
How to make your ads seen
It is important to know, what determines whether an ad shows up in the top placement or the fifth.
The Adwords Auction: Here is how it works
- Ads on Google and its display network are sold by auction.
- Advertisers bid on keywords in order an ad, when clicked upon, leads the searches to a website coding page.
- However, unlike a traditional auction, the highest bidder does not always win.
- Google takes 2 factors into auctions to create a new measure know as Ad rank.
a)Quality Score is expected click-through rate and relevance and landing page experience.
b)Bid is the maximum price that an advertiser is willing to pay for an ad click.
Ad Rank = Quality Score * Bid
- The Bidder with the highest Ad Rank gets the top spot and so on down to than last ad qualifying.
You must focus on consistently improving your costs and rank higher bidding competitors.
How to select your Bid Strategy
- Target Research page location: Automated bidding strategy to show your ad on the top of the page or on the first page of Google search results.
- Target CPA: Bidding strategy that sets bids to help get as many conversions as possible at the target customer acquisition (CPA) you set. You will need to add a piece of code to your website in order to track conversions on your website.
- Target ROAS: Automated Bidding strategy across multiple campaigns and groups, and keywords to help achieve an average return on ad spend.
- Target Outranking Score: Automated bidding strategy that helps your ads outranks ads from other domains.
- Maximise Clicks: Automated Strategy to help you get as many clicks as possible.
- Enhance CPC: Raises your bid for clicks that seem more likely to lead to a saleor conversion on your website.
- Manual CPC: A bidding that lets you set your own maximum cost per click(CPC) for your ads.
How to Evaluate Performance of your Campaign
Once your campaign has been running for a while, you will want to measure your ad performance. You can analyze account, campaign, and ad group information using AdWords reports and metrics.
Here are the best practices for you to follow to evaluate performance:
• For campaign performance, check the campaign screen for a snapshot of overall campaign performance.
• For a more granular perspective, view details on specific ads in each ad group are doing.
• Keep check-ins super-efficient by working at the same statistics routinely.
• Clicks show how many clicks your ad received. Clicks through rate (CTR) shows the percentage of people who could see your ad and checked on it.
• Conversion shows how many people clicked from your ad to your site and did something you valued, such as a purchase, sign-up, phone call, or download.
• Conversion rate shows how many conversions on your site resulted from an ad click.
• Return on Investment(ROI) tells you how effective your ad spend is by showing how much return it is bringing you.
How can you get Google ads Certification
The Google Ads certification is a professional accreditation that Google offers to individuals free of cost who demonstrate proficiency in basic and advanced aspects of Google Ads.
There are six Google Ads certifications available today:
- Google Ads Search certification
- Google Display Ads Display
- Google Ads Video certification
- Google Shopping ads Certification
- Google Ads Apps certification
- Google Ads Measurement certification
Note: The Google Ads Measurement certification does not count toward the Partners badge.
Google Ads training allows individuals to demonstrate that Google recognizes them as an expert in online advertising. You can earn the certification through Skillshop, Google’s ads academy.
Your Google Ads certification will remain valid until the product area certification expires. The certifications are valid for 1 year and is free of cost. You’ll need to retake and pass the certification assessment in the respective product area to renew your certification.
You can demonstrate your expertise to your clients that you are certified Google ads professional and is well qualified to do the job.
Why Should you go for Google Adwords?
- Google’s massive reach: Today Google has elevated itself beyond a brand to a verb. The search engine handles 2+ trillion searches like these per year. That’s over 5 billion searches per day.
- Faster than SEO: When you get started with Google, though, your chance of leapfrogging all the organic results on a search engine results page grows exponentially, and it grows easier too.
- Build Brand Awareness: Through the Ads search network, even if potential customers aren’t clicking, they see your brand, your tagline, what you offer, and whatever else you use your copy and extensions to showcase. And through the Ads display network, you’ll even prioritize brand awareness by choosing to point out your ad to more people.
- Earn more conversions: When Google decides which ads get seen by browsing prospects, they take post-click landing page experience into account.
- Remarketing: Google AdWords helps you to reconnect with visitors to your website.
- Measure your performance consistently:
a) It is very difficult to measure the outcome of traditional advertisements like newspapers, radio, broadcast television, cable television, outdoor billboards, brochures, etc.
b) Also, they’re far more expensive than Google AdWords. But, AdWords, on the opposite hand, would tell you exactly what happened with the campaign.
- Explore more using google ads:
a) There is a lot more to explore when you link your Google AdWords account with your Google Analytics account. AdWords may be a great platform but it won’t allow you to know what people do after clicking the ads.
b) But, Google analytics would help you understand, how long a visitor stayed on-page, how many pages visited, the Bounce Rate, and details about new visitors. By linking them together, you’ll have tons more data in your hand. An advertiser can measure the entire performance of Google ads. He/she can pause the non-performing keywords/campaigns/ads and check out different variations to spice up your results.